I’ve always been a sucker for a good sandwich. I crave them at least a few days per week. Sadly some people are ‘afraid’ of sandwiches and try to eat salads everyday for lunch. I’m all about a good salad, but I think everyone should be able to enjoy a sandwich and know it can still be healthy. They key is to make the best choices that you can. For me that means sprouted whole wheat bread (sprouted food is easier to digest because enzymes are released during the sprouting process, which breaks down proteins and carbohydrates). In addition to using sprouted bread I also stuff the sandwich with lots of veggies and healthy fats like avocado.
As a spread for my sandwiches I usually opt for hummus instead of mayo (again, making healthy choices). Today I decided to switch it up and make a turmeric cashew spread. I have been trying to incorporate turmeric into my meals lately because it’s a natural anti-inflammatory. I also love cooking with turmeric because it adds so much flavor to my meals.
In addition to the turmeric cashew spread this sandwich is stuffed with spinach to get some greens in as well as avocado for healthy fat. Lastly, I added some roasted butternut squash which pairs so nicely with the turmeric cashew spread and I love the subtle sweet flavor of roasted butternut squash.
Since I’m a busy mom with not much free time I love that I can get a lot of mileage out of this sandwich by simply making a big batch of this spread and roasting lots of butternut squash. You can easily make this sandwich for a few days in a row in under 5 minutes once you already have the cooked squash and spread made.
Roasted butternut squash sandwich with a turmeric cashew spread - a delicious vegan lunch you need to make!Click To Tweet
Shop the ingredients used for this recipe:
Roasted Butternut Squash Sandwich with Turmeric Cashew Spread
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
For the sandwich:
- 2 slices of bread
- Small handful of spinach
- 1/3 avocado, sliced
For the butternut squash:
- 1/4 cup roasted butternut squash
- olive oil
- sea salt
For the turmeric cashew spread:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in 1/2 cup water for at least 5 hours
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- pinch of pink sea salt
- Combine cashews with the water and let sit for at least 5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Slice the butternut squash into small cubes. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes, or until tender and starting to golden.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews/water with lemon juice, turmeric and salt. Puree until smooth and the consistency resembles hummus.
- Assemble the sandwich by spreading two tablespoon of the cashew spread on one side of the bread then layer the avocado, spinach and roasted butternut squash. Spread 1 to 2 more tablespoons of the cream on the remaining piece of bread and add to the sandwich.
Recipe inspired by Naturally Ella