I woke up this morning craving something warm and comforting. The past few days my breakfasts have consisted of cold smoothies and acai bowls, so a big bowl of oatmeal is exactly what I needed! Often I cook traditional oats on the stovetop or make ‘overnight oats’, but this morning I took some extra time to bake my oats.
I’ve baked rolled oats before, but had never experimented with baking steel-cut oats. They came out equally as delicious!! Steel-cut oats are whole oat groats and are not stripped of any of their nutrients. These oats have a rich, nutty taste and a heartier texture than rolled oats. Steel-cut oats are high in fiber, are very low on the glycemic index and are one of the healthiest carbs you can find.
I decided to use strawberries, but you can substitute any fruit for this recipe. This would work amazing with blueberries or apples too! Once the fruit is heated it really enhances the flavor, thus no added sugar is necessary. I also used some mashed banana in the recipe, which added extra sweetness and gave the oatmeal a thicker consistency. This recipe has definitely made its way into my weekly breakfast rotation!Steel-cut Strawberry Baked Oatmeal #vegan #glutenfree Click To Tweet Print
Steel Cut Strawberry Baked Oatmeal
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 banana (mashed)
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (reserve a few for topping)
- Suggested Toppings:
- Crumbled walnuts or a spoonful of nut butter
- Drizzle of maple syrup
- Sprinkle of hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place the oats, baking powder, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a bowl and stir. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to soften the oats.
- Add the mashed banana to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the sliced strawberries at the bottom of a small ramekin (lightly greased with coconut oil).
- Pour the oat mixture over the strawberries.
- Place a few slices of strawberries on top and place in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for a few minutes to cool.
- Add suggested toppings and serve.