Basic Acai Bowl
I have been a huge fan of acai bowls since I first discovered them about 5 years ago while visiting in California. I was immediately hooked after my first bite! I was even more delighted to discover that these bowls of goodness are actually healthy and packed with nutrients and antioxidants.
The nutrient-rich acai berry is commonly found in the rain forests of the Amazon. This superfood has many health benefits such as increased energy, healthier skin, anti-aging effects and may even help with digestive issues.
I have created many variations of these delicious bowls, but I wanted to start with the most basic version and build from there.
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 3/4 of a large frozen banana (in pieces)
- 1 packet of frozen acai (or 1 tbsp of acai powder)
- 1 tsp maca powder (optional) – (Maca adds a nutty/caramel flavor and boosts energy)
- Toppings: organic granola, fresh berries and banana (plus any other favorites!)
- If using a frozen acai packet, allow to thaw for about 5 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients (except toppings) in a high-speed blender (I use a Vitamix.)
- Blend until smooth and creamy – the mixture should be relatively thick. If it is not thick enough, just add more frozen banana as you go.
- Pour/spoon mixture into a bowl and top with organic granola, fresh berries and a few slices of banana. For an extra superfood boost I sprinkle chia seeds, hemp seeds, coconut flakes and bee pollen, but these are completely optional. For non-vegans you can also drizzle some honey on top for added sweetness.
This looks beautiful, and is both healthy and delicious. What a great way to start my morning!