This healthy shakshuka recipe is a one skillet meal that is perfect to serve for breakfast or brunch! It’s easy, delicious and takes under 20 minutes!
Shakshuka is most definitely one of my favorite meals ever! It’s cozy, comforting and delicious. I love that it’s easy to make, requires just a few simple and clean ingredients, and takes under 20 minutes.
This is the most perfect meal to sit down and enjoy for breakfast or brunch! It’s also equally as good for lunch or dinner – it truly can be enjoyed any time of day!
I love cooking the eggs just slightly so the yolks are soft and runny. Runny yolks = dipping your warm crusty bread in them! Obviously the best part, lol!
This shakshuka is dairy-free, but you can crumble up some feta cheese on top and it’s delicious! The shakshuka on its own is gluten-free and grain-free, but I highly recommend serving it with toasted bread. If you’re gluten-free use a gluten-free bread and if you’re grain-free or paleo then use a paleo bread.
I added spinach into the recipe to get my greens in (I always try to sneak in greens whenever possible. I also love the addition of fresh herbs on top.
Ingredients needed to make this healthy shakshuka:
- eggs: I highly recommend buying organic and pasture-raised eggs for the highest quality and best health. Pasture-raised eggs means that the hens are happily foraging on grass daily, which increases their nutritional value.
- olive oil: for cooking the garlic in. always opt for cold-pressed organic olive oil.
- garlic cloves: smash them first!
- crushed fire roasted tomatoes: I highly recommend the one that I linked to!
- red pepper flakes: gives this a really nice flavor!
- spinach: not completely necessary, but why not sneak some greens in – you won’t even taste it since it wilts while cooking.
- herbs: for sprinkling on top once it’s finished cooking. I recommend parsley, basil, cilantro and dill.
- salt: for flavor of course 🙂
- bread: for serving. make sure it’s lightly toasted!
If you’re searching for more incredible breakfast or brunch recipes go no further than my healthier version of an egg mcmuffin!Print
This healthy shakshuka recipe is a one skillet meal that’s perfect to serve for breakfast or brunch! It’s easy, delicious and takes under 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, spinach, red pepper flakes and salt to the pan. Turn down the heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Using a spoon make 4-6 holes into the sauce, then crack an egg into each hole. Cover and cook until the eggs are set to your liking, 2 to 3 minutes for runnier yolks, or 4 – 5 minutes for a more set yolk.
- Turn off the heat and top with any combination of cilantro, parsley and basil (I love using all three). If you’re not dairy-free this would be delicious with feta cheese on top as well. Serve with toasted bread. I highly recommend dipping the bread into the egg yolks 🙂