Healthy Smash Cake for Baby (dairy-free, gluten-free & egg-free)
A healthy gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free smash cake that is perfect for your baby’s first birthday! This cake is naturally-sweetened with just banana and applesauce and is packed with healthy fat.
I made this delicious healthy smash cake for both Emma and Jordyn on their first birthdays. I continue to make a version of this cake each year for their birthdays (I once added cacao powder for a chocolate version)!
This smash cake is perfect to serve your baby at their first birthday and for many years beyond! I love that this healthy cake is naturally-sweetened with just banana and applesauce. It’s moist thanks to the avocado oil (or you can use coconut oil) and is packed with healthy fat and fiber. This smash cake is naturally dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free and vegan. This cake is free of the top 8 common allergens, making it safe for most babies and toddlers!
I hope you and your little one enjoy this cake as much as me and my girls do! If you make it please comment on this post to let me know – it makes my day when you guys make and enjoy my recipes! Also be sure to tag me on Instagram @leahsplate with a photo of the cake!
Ingredients needed for this recipe:
- 4 ripe bananas (mashed): make sure the bananas are RIPE – this is so important! The bananas are what I use to naturally sweeten the cake.
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce: also used to naturally sweeten this cake.
- 3 tbsp avocado oil OR liquid coconut oil: I really have no preference to using avocado oil or coconut oil as both work really well and are both healthy sources of fat. Please do NOT use canola oil as this is a highly refined inflammatory oil.
- 2 tsp vanilla extract: to give the cake a delicious vanilla flavor.
- 1 tsp baking soda: to help the cake rise while baking.
- 1/4 cup coconut flour: a great grain-free and gluten-free flour substitute and a healthy fat.
- 3/4 cup oat flour: a great gluten-free flour to use and is packed with fiber.
- 1 tsp cinnamon: to give the cake delicious flavor. I love this warming spice.
Shop the ingredients used for this recipe:
Healthy Smash Cake for Baby (dairy-free, gluten-free and naturally sweetened)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 4 ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp avocado oil OR liquid coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, oat flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl combine the mashed bananas, applesauce, oil and vanilla extract, then pour into the bowl with dry ingredients and whisk together. Add 1/3 cup of natural sprinkles and mix in, if desired (or leave out if keeping this cake sugar free).
- Lightly grease three 4 inch cake pans with coconut oil and spread the batter into the pans.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and frost the cake. I used Simple Mills organic vanilla frosting and natural sprinkles
Recipe lightly modified from Natureal Mom
Do you know of any other alternative for banana? My girl can’t have banana but can have all the other ingredients!! She can eat eggs, could that work?
Yes, eggs could definitely work here, but the cake wouldn’t be as sweet since the banana is the sweetener. I’d suggest adding in a little coconut sugar.
Substitute for coconut flour? Just use all oat flour?
Unfortunately I would have to measure the correct amount of oat flour to use if using all oat flour and no coconut flour. These 2 flours don’t swap equally.